She-is-bold-She-is-brave-she-proved-it-by-her-quotes! Bollywood’s most badass actress Kalki Koechlin never let patriarchy empty hands. She always put her opinion forward.
Kalki has given numbers of excellent movies that make us think about the subjugated parts of a community. And, her quotes are the other thing that makes us think about the same.
Here are some thought-provoking quotes from Kalki that every fan must read it:
1. “I’ve always believed that the sisterhood, the idea of sharing women’s stories, understanding other women, knowing that you are not alone is very empowering.”
2.”No gender is fairer than the other. Women are not doormats. We are equivalent to men. It is just that we have different bodies and different biological needs. We have capacities which should be celebrated and rewarded in the society.”
3. “But there are people who are an exception to [Bollywood’s wage gap], you have Kangana in Rangoon who was paid more than her male counterparts, Priyanka who is one of the more highly paid women. But it hasn’t become mainstream yet.”
4. “Objectification of women is very predominant, but I am happy that gradually things are changing. Piku and Queen, both women-oriented films, brought a fresh change in Bollywood.”
5. “I don’t have a problem with hero-based films but we have very few heroine-oriented movies. That writing needs to change. If it’s not happening, make it happen.”
6. “I think Bollywood is a reflection of society, if the society looks down upon women, so will our films. All of us are to be blamed for the objectification of women in the society. Parents treating boys better than girls, teachers separating boys and girls talking to each other, sexist jokes in the office, stereotyping women in films etc.”
7. “Remember Draupadi? Draupadi married off to the five Pandavas? She garlanded only Arjun, but they said, ‘Marry all of us.’ Five husbands. That can’t be fun. God knows, in fact everybody knows I have enough trouble with just one.”
8. “Being married and isolated from the society – be it the laws or the economics. We can’t be afraid of being isolated anymore. That is part of the fight.”
9. “Sex is better in my thirties; I’m less inhibited with my body. In your twenties, you’re very worried about how people perceive you. I’ve become more selfish in bed now. And I’m much more fussy (about partners), my bullshit tolerance is a lot less. I don’t just like someone because they like me, which was the case usually.”
10. “Feminism is the crazy idea that men and women are equal. If you are doing the same job that a man is doing, you should be paid the same amount of money.”
Kalki Koechlin’s views are extraordinary and thought-provoking, and we can’t get enough from whatever she quote.